Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888-761-7383
Phone: 530-899-7178
Ledgerwood Law Group

California Worker’s Compensation and Social Security Disability Resources to Help You With Your Claim

Check out these resources to learn more information about the filing process for your Northern California worker’s compensation or Social Security Disability claims.

Worker's Compensation

  • California Division of Workers Compensation:

    California’s Department of Industrial Relations: Division of Workers Compensation (DWC) website is full of useful information for injured workers. The material is also available in Spanish.

  • Office of Workers Compensation Programs (OWCP):

    The United States Department of Labor’s Office of Workers Compensation Programs provides information on the claims process. Visit this site to learn more about the filing process and available benefits to you, the injured worker.

  • Uninsured Employers Benefits Trust Fund (UEBTF):

    If your employer is uninsured illegally you can still have claims paid from the Uninsured Employers Benefits Trust Fund (UEBTF)  Steps need to be taken to receive an award from UEBTF this link provides more information.

  • WCIRB Form:

    You can fill out this form to find out if your employer is insured and if they are, who they are insured with.

Social Security Disability


  • Benefits.gov:

    Benefits.gov is a partnership of 17 federal agencies, led by the U.S. Department of Labor. Its mission is to inform people of benefits they may be eligible for throughout the United States. There is also helpful advice on applying for assistance, and all information is available in Spanish.

  • BOG Waivers:

    The Board of Govenors Fee Waiver, for students who qualify, waives enrollment fees for Community College students.

  • CA Employment Development Department (EDD):

    This site lists various resources for unemployment, disability, finding jobs and job training.  The link for the EDD Officel Locator is http://www.edd.ca.gov/Office_Locator/

  • California Department of Public Health:

    This site list resources for free and low cost services, such as Medi-Cal, and WIC (nutritional aid for mothers and their small children).  It also has listings of local health department offices for free and low cost health services, vaccinations, and listings for local job opportunities, etc. 

  • CCCApply (California Community Colleges Apply):

    CCCApply links you to the 112 Community Colleges in California.  Choose a college and the site will route you to that college's website for application instructions.  This site also offers BOG waiver and FAFSA applications, along with other financial aid links.

  • Community Housing Improvement Program (CHIP):

    Community Housing Improvement Program, available for individuals on fixed or low incomes that are looking to help build and purchase their own home.  Each household’s labor becomes their down payment, commonly referred to as “sweat equity."  Groups of 6-10 participants are formed to construct the homes over an 8-10 month period. With the help of family and friends, each participant must contribute a minimum of 30 hours per week until completion of all the homes in the group.  No construction experience is necessary.

  • FAFSA:

    Application for Federal Student Financial Aid.

  • Habitat for Humanity:

    Similar to CHIP, Habitat for Humanity allows individuals to apply to build new or improve their housing with CHIP’s assistance and volunteers and the individual's "sweat equity."  They also have their "re-store" where donated and gently used/recycled home materials can be purchased throughout the "sweat equity" process, or for individuals who need affordable supplies for their home if they are not enrolled in the actual housing program.

  • Keep Your Home California:

    This site helps homeowners who are having trouble making their mortgage payments due to unemployment or injury by providing various financial services (up to $100K) such as: unemployment mortgage assistance for individuals on SDI, reinstatement assistance for those on SDI, Workers' Compensation or other disability, Principal reduction and transition assistance for home owners who are trying to relocate to a new/more affordable residence (ie: if they already lost their home to foreclosure/bankruptcy). 

  • Need Help Paying Bills:

    This is a great all-in-one website that links an individual to multiple resources in Butte, Sierra, Glenn, Colusa, and Plumas Counties.  This site provides various free resources to help pay utility bills, access to local food banks (SNAP not required), foreclosure and credit counseling, etc.

  • SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Food Stamps):

    This site helps people apply for an EBT card though SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps).

  • The Esplanade House:

    The Esplanade House is located in Chico, CA.  The Esplanade House provides access to housing for families who currently find themselves without a home or shelter for various reasons, including being out of work due to injury.  The Esplanade House can provide access to free or cheap housing for families who are struggling to find a way to live with no income.

  • The Jesus Center:

    The Jesus Center is located in Chico, CA.  This is great resource for those who find themselves struggling through their Workers' Compensation or Social Security Disability cases.  If you're injured and without adequate income the Jesus Center can provide food, showers, toiletries, clothing and other resources to help see you through a trying time while you are waiting to get what you're entitled to through Workers' Compensation and Social Security Disability.

  • Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board:

    This government site is designed to assist people specifically who need various forms of financial, housing, educational, vocational and medical assistance because they were a victim of a qualifying violent crime that resulted in physical or severely emotional damages to the individual or their children. (ie: assault, sexual harassment/abuse, homicide, vehicular manslaughter, etc).

  • Welfare to Work Program:

    This site will help those who qualify with financial assistance while they train and enter or return to the work force.