Why Use a Chico Disability Benefits Attorney for Your SSDI Case?
Perhaps you've only recently come to terms with the fact that you need to apply for Social Security disability benefits. Maybe you've received an unfavorable decision on your initial claim and are considering your options for appeal.
Either way, you are probably feeling overwhelmed and in need of guidance. Will you be able to get the support you need? Would hiring a disability attorney be a good investment of your resources?
How a disability attorney can help
You aren't required to hire an attorney at any point in the claims process, and for a very small percentage of applicants, an attorney won't be necessary. These are typically situations where an individual has a “textbook” diagnosis of a severe disability outlined in the Social Security Administration's guidelines.
However, for the vast majority of applicants, the impact of an individual's disabilities won't be immediately apparent. You will need to present the California disability court with a coherent, thoroughly documented picture of your limitations and how they prevent you from maintaining employment. Even then, the odds are against you: nearly 70% of applicants will be denied on their initial claim. Up to 85% will be denied on the first level of appeal.
Here are some of the things a Northern California disability benefits lawyer can do for your case:
- Ensure all paperwork is filled out and filed correctly.
- Promptly meet all filing deadlines. These seemingly mundane tasks are two of the most crucial in the claims process, as even a minor error could cause a denied claim or stall out your case for months. Missing a filing deadline—it's easier to do than you think—could mean you must start the whole process over.
- Build a compelling and thoroughly documented case history to present at any level of the application process.
- Help you understand what kind of information you need from your healthcare providers.
- Stay in communication with the SSA about the status of your claim and keep you informed about your next step in the process.
- Advise you throughout the complex appeals process, saving you time, energy, and anxiety.
- Improve your chances of an approved claim much sooner in the process.
If you are struggling to navigate the SSDI application or appeals process, the Ledgerwood Law Group may be able to help. Call us toll-free at 888-761-7383 today.