Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888-761-7383
Phone: 530-899-7178
Ledgerwood Law Group

When should I report an injury or illness to my employer in order to start a Chico workers’ compensation claim, and how should I do it?


First and foremost, the time to report a work-related injury or illness to your employer is as soon as you are able to do so. Waiting too long to do so can create two major roadblocks to a successful Chico workers’ comp claim:

  • It may give your employers’ workers’ comp insurance provider reason to doubt the legitimacy of your claim, and
  • You only have 30 days in the state of California from the date an injury occurred, was discovered, or should have been discovered to notify your employer with the appropriate paperwork—otherwise, you will technically lose your right to file for workers’ comp.


Some workplace injuries—such as cumulative trauma—can take years to manifest symptoms. In these cases, you’re given a little more leeway; the 30-day deadline effectively starts when you must take time off because of the injury or see a doctor for symptoms resulting from the injury.

In order to notify your employer of an injury, obtain a DWC-1/First Report of Injury form from your employer or the California DIR. You will need to disclose the date, time, and location of the incident as well as what occurred.

Once you have properly notified your employer of an injury, you will have one year to file a workers’ compensation claim.

If you need to understand more about your rightful benefits after a workplace injury, review your case with a skilled Chico worker’s compensation attorney. Contact Ledgerwood Law Group today by calling 888-761-7383. When you call, ask how you can obtain a free copy of our informative report, The Northern California Workers’ Compensation Survival Manual.

Thomas Ledgerwood
Connect with me
Proprietor Ledgerwood Law Group