Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888-761-7383
Phone: 530-899-7178
Ledgerwood Law Group

I was hurt on the job and I found out my employer is uninsured, now what do I do?


If you have a work-related injury or illness and your employer is not insured, your employer is responsible for paying all bills related to your injury or illness. You should contact the Information and Assistance Officer at your local DWC district office or obtain an attorney for further information about your rights and medical treatment in this situation. If your employer is illegally uninsured and you have a work-related injury or illness, you can file a civil action against your employer in addition to filing a workers' compensation claim as it is a criminal offense and a misdemeanor  for an employer to be illegally uninsured.

You may also file a claim for benefits with the state's Uninsured Employers' Benefit Trust Fund (UEBTF). The UEBTF is a special unit within the Division of Workers' Compensation that may pay benefits to injured workers who get hurt or ill while working for an illegally uninsured employer. The UEBTF pursues reimbursement of expenditures from the responsible employer through all available avenues, including filing liens against their property.

Thomas Ledgerwood
Connect with me
Proprietor Ledgerwood Law Group