Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888-761-7383
Phone: 530-899-7178
Ledgerwood Law Group

What does a SJDV help pay for, and am I allowed to use it out of state?


The SJDV can help pay for educational retraining or skill enhancement, or both, at state-approved or state-accredited schools, including school tuition, fees, books and expenses required by the school for training. No more than 10 percent of the value of the voucher can be used for vocational & return to work counseling. Keep in mind, however, where you are allowed to get your education from may depend on your date of injury:

For injuries occurring between Jan. 1, 2004 and Dec. 31, 2012. You can use the voucher to pay an out of state private provider of education-related retraining or skill enhancement. The provider must be approved by the governing state agency similarly to the way California providers are approved.

For injuries occurring on or after Jan. 1, 2013, education-related retraining or skill enhancement must be with a California public school or with a provider that is certified and on the state’s Eligible Training Provider List.

Thomas Ledgerwood
Connect with me
Proprietor Ledgerwood Law Group