If you’ve recently filed a Social Security disability benefits claim or appealed an unfavorable decision, it may be hard to believe how long it may be before your California claims hearing.
The Social Security website’s annual report, “Average Wait Time Until Hearing Held” for April 2013, estimates that Northern Californians with disabilities could wait upwards of eight months before their claim is up for a decision.
If you think there might be a few things you could do in the meantime to help your case, you’re absolutely right. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Stay updated on the status of your claim. Check in with a claims representative at the office where you filed, or check online.
- Research and apply for other benefits. Chances are if you’re eligible for SSDI or SSI, you’ll qualify for other types of aid.
- Keep the SSA informed of any changes in your address, prognosis, or work status.
- Talk to your medical team. Tell your doctor you’ve filed for disability. Keep up with appointments and prescriptions to the best of your ability. If hardships make this difficult or impossible, document thoroughly as supporting evidence for your claim.
- Hire a North Valley disability attorney if you haven’t already. A legal professional experienced in the disability claims process will already know the importance of every item on this list. Though little can be done to shorten wait times, working with an attorney will improve your odds of an approval on your initial claim or first appeal.
If you are struggling to navigate the Social Security disability application or appeal process, you aren’t alone. The Ledgerwood Law Group may be able to help. Call our offices at 888-761-7383 to set up a no-cost consultation today.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Waiting for a Claims Hearing? Here’s What to Do | Chico SSDI Lawyer"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."